I am a huge fan of perogies! When I was a kid there used to be a Sesame Street song about making them. It was years later when I moved to western Canada that I discovered how good they were. It was a few more years when I tasted homemade perogies that I discovered how awesome they are! Now, I make my own.
I know there are many cherished family recipes, many 'correct' ways, many fillings, many doughs, and even many spellings, but this recipe is the basic potato and cheddar filled dumpling, with a soft dough. This is a great make-in-a-batch and freeze (or share). Its easy! Here's how!
Recipe - Perogies (makes about 50-60)
FILLING
1.5 lb russet potatoes
2 cups grated old cheddar
3 tbsp butter
salt and pepper
DOUGH
3- 3/4 cups bread flour
1.5 tsp baking powder (7.5 ml)
1-1/2 cups sour cream (355ml)
2 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
1 tsp salt
FINISHING
1 medium onion, finely diced
1/4 cup butter
salt
Make the filling first *you can even make this the day before and store overnight
Peel and slice the potatoes. I like to slice to the same thickness, about 1/2" so they cook evenly, and add to a generously salted large saucepan with enough water to cover the potatoes. Cook at a steady boil for 20-25 minutes, or until soft and tender.
Add drained potatoes to bowl of stand mixer and add butter and cheese, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp pepper. Mix with paddle attachment until well blended, 1-2 minutes. The hot potatoes will quickly melt the butter and cheese and produce a warm mixture. It will smell amazing at this point! Spread evenly into shallow baking dish and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
For the dough: combine flour, baking powder, salt, sour cream and eggs in stand mixing bowl. Mix with dough hook on medium for 6-8 minutes. The dough will be soft and smooth. Let dough rest for at least 30 minutes.
Now, we are ready for assembly! Roll out the dough to 1/8" thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 3" or 3.25" rounds with a biscuit cutter (a drinking glass works, too, just coat the edge in a little flour to prevent it sticking).
Remove the unused dough and put aside. With a tablespoon measure, scoop out just slightly less than a full tbsp of the chilled filling and place in the center of each cut round.
Fold dough over filling and close firmly at the middle. Pinch from one end to the other, making sure the dough is sealed. The trick here is to not have too much flour on the dough; this would prevent it from sealing. Place prepared perogies on a long piece of parchment, or large wooden cutting board.
Once all the rounds are formed into perogies, take the unused dough and repeat the procedure/ Roll the dough out again to about 1/8" thickness. Cut into 3" rounds, and add filling, and pinch fold. Continue until you run out of dough or filling. (I always run out of filling first, but you should get about 50 perogies)
I normally cook half and freeze half this recipe, so for the ones I freeze, I sprinkle lightly with flour to minimize sticking and place in a zipper freezer bag. For the ones I cook, I go over each one again, ensuring they are well sealed.
Before boiling the perogies, finely dice a medium onion, and add to 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 tsp salt in a large frying pan. Cook on medium-low for about 10-15 minutes, until soft.
To cook, add perogies to a large pot of salted boiling water. It's tempting to take them out soon as they they float, but the dough may not be fully cooked through, so keep them in for 5 minutes.
Remove cooked perogies and add to buttered onions, turning up heat to medium-high. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until perogies are browned slightly.
It's time to eat!
Serve with sour cream and salsa. For the extra notch, add bacon bits and sliced green onions!
Try it! Do you have a favourite or family perogie recipe? Let me know!
No comments:
Post a Comment