Thursday, April 1, 2021

Burger buns - not as tough as you think!

I have been baking breads for less than a year. Before then, most of my breads came out tough, flat and plain. I'm still learning, but the results are improving. Here's one that I would not have attempted two years ago: burger buns.

 

It's not hard, I hope you try it. Here's my recipe:

  • 3/4 cup water, warmed
  • 1/4 cup milk, warmed
  • 2 tablespoon dry active yeast
  • 1 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 cups bread (strong) flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar (1 tbsp + 3 tbsp)
  • 1  teaspoon salt
 
In bowl of stand mixer, add 1 tbsp yeast, 1 tbsp of the sugar, 3/4 cup warm water and 1/4 cup warm milk, stir and place in a warm area until frothy, about 5 minutes.

Add the 3 cups flour, melted butter, egg, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, and salt to the mixer bowl. Mix with kneading hook on low speed until combined, and then increase speed to medium and knead for 2-3 minutes. The dough should be soft and smooth.


Remove from bowl and knead a few more times. Spray the inside of the bowl with cooking spray, place the dough ball back in the bowl, gently spray the dough with cooking spray and cover with plastic film.

Place in a warm area and let it rise until about double in volume, about 90 minutes.



Punch down the dough and put on a lightly floured surface. With a kitchen scale, divide by weight into the number of buns you want. My first few times I made 8 buns, but you can easily get 10 buns large enough for a normal patty from this. Shape each piece into a ball; flatten to about 3" across. Place the buns on a parchment-lined baking sheet, cover with film, and let rise in a warm place for another 45 minutes. The buns will still look a little small but will get larger while baking.

 

Bake at 350°F oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden. (yes, I sometimes find myself kneeling at the oven door, watching for the 'perfect' time to take them out). Put on a rack to cool, at least 20-30 minutes.

 
 
Notes: 
 
1.  It takes about 10 minutes to make the dough, 90 minutes for the first rise, another 10 to weigh and shape the buns, another 45 to second rise, 15 minutes to bake, and 30 minutes to cool. So, it's best to start these at least 3.5 to 4 hours before you use them. You could make them the day before or even freeze them, too. 
 
2. Instead of milk and water, you can use 1 cup of water, but I find the the milk (along with the butter) makes the bun texture softer.

I hope you give it a try!








 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recipe - Steak Stroganoff

Make Steak Stroganoff Tonight! Hi!  It's been a long time since my last recipe post!  Here is a simple and delicious dinner that's ...